The master program Finance, Accounting, Auditing, Controlling and Taxation (FAACT) of the Faculty of Management and Economics combines practice-oriented teaching with practice-relevant research. The five specialisation areas offered open up the possibility of developing knowledge specifically according to personal ideas. The close integration of the specializations teaches students to think in overarching economic contexts and to take these into account later when making decisions. The diverse practical contacts ensure the early development of one’s own networks and far-reaching insights into potential professional fields. Focused specialization options in the five areas also allow for clear profiling on the job market. FAACT is a specialized course of study in the Finance, Accounting, Auditing, Controlling and Taxation competence area of the same name.
Is only possible in the winter semester
- Via the Ruhr-Universtität Bochum
- Is also possible with a Transcript of Record (min. 150 ECTS)
- Winter semester: July 15
- Transcript of Record deadline: July 21
- Winter semester: September 15
- Summer semester: March 15
- Bachelor degree in economics and/or management with a total of 180 ECTS
- 60 ECTS from the field of Business Administration, of which 40 ECTS in the field of Finance, Accounting, Auditing, Controlling & Taxation
- 30 ECTS from the field of economics and/or mathematics/statistics
- Proof of English language skills of at least level B2, as evidenced by the German Abitur certificate, completion of a purely English-language Bachelor’s degree programme or by international examinations (TOEFL internet-based 87 points or equivalent)
- International applicants: Proof of German language skills of at least level B2, proven by a German-language Abitur certificate, completion of a German-language Bachelor’s degree programme or by international examinations (TestDaF level 4 in all four partial examinations or DSH level 2)
Is required for enrollment after receipt of admission. For this purpose, please contact the student advisory service.
- The study program is free of charge except for the regular university social contribution.
- The study program is admission restricted.
- Apply if you are a graduate of a six-semester bachelor program in economics (management and economics), economics.
Information about the study program
… is German (and English)
- Finance: Prof. Dr. Stephan Paul
- Accounting: Prof. Dr. Bernhard Pellens
- Auditing: Prof. Dr. Devrimi Kaya
- Controlling: Prof. Dr. Thorsten Knauer
- Taxation: Prof. Dr. Heiko Müller
More about the professors and honorary professors.
With a master degree in FAACT, you can earn a doctorate. Pass on your experience and knowledge from your studies to the following cohorts of students and conduct research on exciting topics together with nationally and internationally renowned scientists.
If you have general questions about this degree programme, please contact the Student Advisory Service:
Dipl.-Ök. Michèle Lorraine Teufel
Beauftragte für Studienangelegenheiten
Phone: 0234 3222687
Kim Docter, M.A.
Phone: 0234 3222762
Room: GD 03/229
Here you will find the office hours of the Student Advisory Service; office hours are currently by appointment only (by phone or email).
The specialized master program in Finance, Accounting, Auditing, Controlling, Taxation comprises 120 ECTS and offers the opportunity for clear profile building for the job market. The program concludes with the title „Master of Science“.
In return, the core area enables you to gain a broad foundation and a basic understanding of the interrelationships from each of the five areas (5 ECTS each; 25 ECTS in total). The two specializations you choose from the areas of Finance, Accounting, Auditing, Controlling and Taxation and take 15 ECTS each. In addition, you can choose in which of the specializations you will write your term paper seminar and your master’s thesis (30 ECTS). The elective area (20 ECTS) enables you to gain further insights into the FAACT areas. You can freely choose the modules from the extensive range of FAACT chairs. The extended elective area (15 ECTS) rounds off the FAACT Master. Take advantage of the wide range of courses offered by the faculty as well as the Ruhr University Alliance and take additional master’s modules from business administration and economics. You can also easily get credit for modules from your semester abroad.
What do we discuss with you in the FAACT Master?
Due to increasing globalization, digitalization of business processes as well as the related competition for scarce resources, financial corporate management is essential. In addition, the Corona pandemic as well as the increasing relevance of sustainable management in corporate governance highlight the diverse opportunities and risks that companies are facing. In order to be able to cope with such challenges, the FAACT Master prepares you for the following tasks, for example:
e.g.: “How do I optimally finance a company, taking into account the associated tax, balance sheet and financial effects?”
e.g.: “How do I determine the equity and total cost of capital of companies?”/”What added value can risk simulation offer in controlling, tax planning, company valuation and auditing?”
e.g. “How could a digital audit be conceptually implemented in the sense of a full audit of the company?”/”What possibilities exist for data procurement as well as data preparation in the context of company and competition analyses and which tools and methods should be used for this?”
z.B.: „Wie konzipiere ich ein Steuerungssystem unter Berücksichtigung von Nachhaltigkeitszielen und Stakeholder-Interessen?“/„Welche Maßnahmen können ergriffen werden, um die unternehmerische Tätigkeit im Einzel- und Konzernabschluss vor dem Hintergrund des hiermit verbundenen Ratings und der Konsequenzen für die Aktienanalyse optimal abzubilden.
How do we discuss with you in the Faact Master?
The FAACT Master does not only aim at the pure transfer of knowledge in the sense of deepening the content and targeted expansion of your existing knowledge of economic methods. Rather, we want to identify and discuss problems “with you” and develop joint approaches to solutions. The connection to research and practice is additionally strengthened by the fact that you can exchange ideas with renowned scientists from other universities as well as with well-known representatives of practice in the context of guest lectures, practice as well as research seminars. Small group sizes enable you to engage in an intensive dialogue with the lecturers and your fellow students at any time. In addition, you will improve important soft skills through a variety of seminars in German and English by developing, presenting and discussing your own economically sound approaches to solutions. Special emphasis is placed on a constructive and critical discussion atmosphere.
During the master program, you will be supported by the five renowned professors of the FAACT areas:
- Prof. Dr. Stephan Paul (Finance)
- Prof. Dr. Bernhard Pellens (Accounting)
- Prof. Dr. Devrimi Kaya (Auditing)
- Prof. Dr. Thorsten Knauer (Controlling)
- Prof. Dr. Heiko Müller (Taxation)
The FAACT program is part of the FAACT competence area.